Monday, November 24, 2014

The Masterpiece: Cheesy Potatoes

Let me tell you about a wonder beyond all wonders, cheesy potatoes.  They are a magnificent combination of cubed potatoes, cheese, butter, seasoning, and depending on which side of the debate you are on, corn flakes (I am on the side of corn flakes, I like a good crunch).  The potatoes, cheese, and butter are mixed together with a hearty dollop of sour cream and places in the oven.  Halfway through the cooking process, if you’re like me and half of my family, corn flakes can be added.  It is culinary perfection. The way the potatoes seem to melt in your mouth as your tongue burn from sneaking a spoonful to soon is like a symphony coming together for the final crescendo. 


My family can be described through cheesy potatoes, the delicious flawlessness.  It starts with my Aunt. She began cooking at an early age and while I do not know when she perfected her masterpiece, in my opinion, I do know that they have been around for quite some time.  She adds corn flakes. Then comes my second cousin (I think she’s a second cousin, she is my dad and Aunt’s cousin but we just call her an aunt).  She started making them from the same recipe, but without corn flakes.  That is what sparked the great, not really that great but still there, debate.  My entire family is split down the middle on which kind is better.  They can go on for a while on the benefits and horrors of one side or another.  And while we disagree on the topic, there will always be, without fail, cheesy potatoes on the table for dinner.  There are two different kinds of dishes, two different kinds of people, but when you strip back the first layer that covers everything, it’s all the same.  My family, however different initial layer, is the just about the same.  They love arguing, and sometimes making up. They love not seeing each other than getting back together for a week only to not stand each other by the end and be content with leaving for a while again.  They love Imo’s Pizza and cheesy potatoes. And they love each other.      

1 comment:

  1. We make a similar dish (I do the corn flakes but my mom doesn't) in my family and you are right that it is heaven wrapped in cheese. I like the line about burning your tongue when you sneak a bite. Been there.

    ReplyDelete