Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Dream Thread: Mexico



My dreams tend to revolve around going on a big adventure, and that adventure was here.  I was going to South America.  I had a suitcase that worked more like a backpack and a heart full of wonder. I was ready, I was going to seize the day.  My group were going to climb the Aztec pyramids, dance on the beaches of Rio de Janeiro, hike to Machu Picchu, and many more incredible destinations.  We were going to immerse ourselves in the cultures, avoiding big resorts and “white towns.”  It was all smooth sailing in the trip from LAX to Mexico City’s international airport, but that’s about where our luck ended. We were almost immediately dragged into a small room by customs, causing us to miss our next flight to Pueblo.  By the time we finally go to the tiny airport, there was a whole day’s delay till the next flight out.  The crazy fat lady who wore about a half a pound of makeup on working the main desk to us that there was a motel that could house us over night or we could stay at the airport.  Not wanting to be scammed, we opted for the airport.  We decided to walk the market place and do some sightseeing in Mexico City, if we were here, we were going to enjoy it.  We wandered the market, stopping to admire all of the cheaply made items while being haggled to buy everything completely overpriced, then at a moderate price, then “I give you this SUPER cheap, just because you pretty lady.”  We came upon a stand that was selling beautiful figurines of animals and skulls and saints.  I set my suitcase down next to me to pick up the small items.  The stand owner came up to me and we started going back and forth with prices, his starting extremely expensive and mine starting with almost nothing. I was so caught up in buying the item that I didn’t even notice my suitcase being stolen by a Mexican family.  

1 comment:

  1. I can totally see this scenario actually playing out...I lost my passport (and my son's!) in the Cancun airport and went through quite the ordeal tracking them down. What a great line about having both a backpack and a "heart full of wonder."

    ReplyDelete